Pricing your inventory
How to Price Your Items
- YOU DECIDE THE PRICE! Other consignment sales tell you how much to price inventory, but we leave that up to you. We recommend discounting your items too. Many shoppers shop the sale several times during the sale weekend to pick up bargains.
- Outfits are worth more than the sum of their parts! A shirt might sell for only $2.00 and a pair of pants might sell for only $3.00. But the outfit, together, could sell for more than $5.00. Add a matching bow and socks and the value goes up even more!
- Price according to what you would be excited to pay for the item given its condition.
- Overpriced items will not sell. You have a lot of competition and our shoppers are looking for bargains! Reasonably priced items will sell much better than those overpriced.
- For toys and equipment, consider the price you paid and that you may be able to get a similar item on sale today, the condition and the availability of the item. Be sure to check the recall list at the Consumer Product Safety Commission website to ensure that your items have not been recalled. We cannot accept recalled items. cpsc.gov
- Our veteran sellers have pricing tips to increase your earnings check as well. Pricing correctly does make a difference!
Tips to Increase Your Profits
Make Sure your Items are CLEAN & Stain Free.
- Clothing sells best when freshly laundered and ironed.
- Remove stains from items. Any items with stains may be pulled from the sales floor to help maintain the quality of the sale.
- Mend tears and replace missing buttons. Zip all zippers, button all buttons, snap all snaps.
- Clean all items before sale. A little soap and water goes a long way to improving the appearance of an item and will help them sell for more money!
- Our sale is well known for the quality of our clothing and toys! They are great sellers, so please spend time to make your items shine!
A picture is worth a lot of money! Take a picture of items before you bag or disassemble them and attach the picture to your item. For example, it’s difficult to picture how a crib set will look when it’s folded up, but your picture can show a potential buyer exactly how cute your item is! Selling a sling? Take a picture of your baby being worn in it and attach that! Cuteness sells and a picture helps explain how an item works!
Include Directions & User Manuals
Directions and/or instructions for equipment, games and furniture can be found and printed from the internet! Including directions for complex items can make a buyer feel more confident buying it and can help you make more money. If you have every piece/instruction sheet/etc for a large or higher priced item you can price it higher!
Spread The Word!
- Each seller will be responsible for spreading the word about our consignment sale! The more people that know about our sale, the more money each seller will make!
- Each seller must help advertise by putting up a minimum of 5 flyers at churches, grocery stores, daycare centers, or any other appropriate advertising locations. Flyers are made available at the consignment sale discussion meetings, from a Sale Chair or sellers may print off personal copies from Big Tent. This is very important to making our sale successful!
- Let us know if you would like additional flyers to distribute at your place of business, day care, church, to friends, neighbors with children, etc.